Events and Behaviour Tracking
- Email Builder Review
- Designing your email
- Creating a Synchronized Module
- Setting Responsivity
- Building Smart Containers
- Creating a Gmail Promotions Annotation
- Adding a Rollover Effect
- Adding a Background to an Email
- Adding Anchor Links
- Adding a Video to an Email
- Adding a Table to an Email
- Adding a Custom Font
- Adding Social Media Buttons
- Editing HTML and CSS
- Working with “Images” block
Security and Compliance
Creating a Dynamic Segment
A dynamic segment is created based on dynamic conditions which you can choose depending on your contact base. The segment cards can change based on whether the contact matches the chosen conditions. This feature can be applicable to birthday emails, reactivation emails, split between customers and subscribers, etc.
How to Add a Dynamic Segment
1. Enter Contacts > Segments.
2. Choose Add Segment.
3. Choose Dynamic segment type.
4. Fill in general properties:
- Segment title: it will be displayed in the general list.
- Segment purpose: for example, for triggered emails, regular promo campaigns, etc.
- Tags: help find and filter the necessary segments in the general list.
After all the properties have been specified, click on Next to move on to the next step.
5. Add the first card.
For example, you need to select all subscribers who have read emails this month. Click on Add card and choose the following conditions: Contact activity by Email > Last opened > during > this month.
6. To see what contacts have been added, click on Preview contacts in the segment.
7. To see how many contacts are in the segment, click on Recalculate contacts.
Dynamic Segment Conditions
Let's take a closer look at how to create a segment with multiple conditions.
You can create an unlimited number of cards, each having unlimited conditions.
When adding conditions to a card, the segment will include only those contacts that match the specified conditions.
For example, you add two conditions:
- Last opened this year;
- Average order check greater than $1,000.
The segment will include only those contacts who have opened emails over the past year, with an average order value of more than $1,000. The card will look like this:
To add the contacts that match any condition, choose the corresponding option in the header of the card:
For example, you add the following conditions:
- Last clicked week ago;
- Last opened week ago
The segment will include the contacts that either clicked on links in the email or read an email a week ago.
How to Exclude Conditions from a Card
Click on ≠ to exclude any condition from the card.
For example, you want to add to the card all the contacts that have opened emails over this month, with an average order value less than $1,000. Exclude the last condition, and the segment will include only the contacts that have opened emails during the last month and their average order value is more than $1,000.
How to Exclude the Entire Card
You can exclude the whole card. Such a card will be highlighted red and will have a "not" prefix in the segment equation.
How to Exclude a Condition from the Segment
With many cards, when you need to exclude a particular condition from the entire segment, use the right column. Contacts that match the conditions from the right column will not be included in the segment.
2. Equation Operators And/Or
For convenience of operation, you can group conditions in several cards using the following operators:
- And —the segment will include all the contacts that match the conditions of all cards.
- Or — the segment will include the contacts that match the conditions of any card.
3. Segment Equation
With many cards, the segment equation is displayed in the following formula:
- The equation shows in what order the cards are processed.
- Brackets are put automatically to unite the cards based on the processing priorities.
- The letters in the equation match the cards. A cursor on the letter automatically highlights the corresponding card.
- If the card isn’t displayed on the screen, hover over the corresponding letter in the equation to see the conditions.
By default, the contacts that are processed first are united by And operator. In the equation, such cards are enclosed in brackets.
For example, the equation "(A and B) or C" will be processed as following:
- First, the system will find the contacts that match the conditions in A and B cards.
- Next, it will add the contacts that match the conditions in C card.
3 More Useful Features
For more convenience, all the features are now available right in the segment interface after you’ve created a card:
1. Export Contacts
You can export all the contact details as a static segment to the existing list, or send it as a CSV file to your email address.
2. Split a Segment
This might be useful for A/B testing.
You can split a segment only if it includes more than 10 contacts. We recommend conducting split tests with more than 2,000 active contacts to avoid inaccurate results.
For any information on the segment creation, see Tutorial at the top of the page:
Use dynamic segments to build targeted communication with your customers based on their behavior and personal data.